This ridiculously easy BBQ tempeh has been one of my go-tos this summer. It’s super quick, and a great way to get some flavor onto a slab of plant-protein that can stand alone or be paired with delicious sides.
The same method also works great with tofu. Or if you’re doing some summer grilling, use larger slabs of tempeh or tofu. Or, slather BBQ sauce on portobello mushrooms, and slap them on the grill. This tempeh is delicious paired with coleslaw and corn on the cob, or maybe some potato salad.
Many of my blog readers follow a sugar-free lifestyle, and have trouble with BBQ sauce because it is often loaded with sugar or corn syrup. When I first cut sugar out of my life, I used to make my own BBQ sauce. But then I discovered that there are some excellent brands out there with little to no sugar added. This brand of sugar free BBQ sauce is my favorite. G Hughes also makes an excellent sugar free ketchup and teriyaki sauce.
- 1 8-oz package of tempeh cut into cubes, triangles, slabs, or slices
- BBQ sauce of choice I usually choose a low-sugar brand or make my own (see notes)
- Preheat oven to 325°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Optional Step: Steam the sliced tempeh first for a few minutes to eliminate bitterness and help the tempeh become more porous to absorb the delicious sauce. You can do this in a steamer basket in a covered pot on the stove, or you can place it in a shallow bowl of water covered with a towel and microwave it for 1 minute.
- Brush BBQ Sauce onto the sliced tempeh and bake for 5-7 minutes. It will dry out a little, so I brush on a little more sauce at the end after baking.
*Affiliate Link Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I earn a small commission on sales made from my links at no extra cost to you. The products I recommend in my posts are only brands that I can personally recommend and use myself.
I hope you enjoy this easy BBQ tempeh! If you try this, let me know! Leave a comment below, rate it, or tag me in your meal pics on Instagram @katiesconsciouskitchen. Or, join my free private facebook group to share your creations and inspire others!