Did you know that you can grate a block of tempeh using a cheese grater? It makes a lovely crumbly texture similar to ground meat that can be seasoned however you like! This vegan tempeh taco meat is easy, quick, and delicious in regular tacos or on top of a taco salad. It comes together in less than 15 minutes for a super simple and tasty weeknight meal. Try it with my Mango & Pineapple Salsa for an extra delicious taco experience! 🙂
How to Make Tempeh Taco Meat
- Step 1: Grate the tempeh with a cheese grater.
- Step 2: Toss the grated tempeh in skillet in a little bit of oil and cook for 7 minutes or so, until browned.
- Step 3: Add tomato paste, garlic, and spices and stir well. Continue cooking for another 5-7 minutes.
- That’s it! Add to tacos or to taco salad.
If you make a batch of vegan tempeh tacos, please feel free to tag me on instagram so I can see and like your creations! It also helps others (and me!) when you rate and comment on the recipe at the bottom of this post. I hope you enjoy this simple and tasty dinner recipe!
Tempeh Taco Meat
- 8 oz package of tempeh, grated
- 1 tbsp cooking oil of choice, I use olive oil
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp cumin, ground
- 1 tsp chili powder, ground
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- pinch of salt
Taco or Taco Salad Ingredients (Choose Your Favorites)
- chopped lettuce
- finely shredded purple or green cabbage
- pineapple or mango salsa, or regular tomato salsa
- tortilla chips or small tortillas
- cooked rice, for taco salad option
- sliced avocado, or guacamole
- chopped cilantro, to garnish
- white onion, finely minced, to garnish
- lime wedges, to garnish
- Choose your favorite taco fixings from the list above.
- If using tortillas, steam them for 15 seconds in the microwave by placing them between two damp paper towels on a plate, or in a steamer basket in a covered pot of boiling water. This will make them soft and flexible.
Tempeh Taco Meat
- Grate the tempeh with a cheese grater.
- Toss the grated tempeh in skillet in a little bit of oil and cook for 7 minutes or so, until browned.
- Add tomato paste, garlic, and spices and stir well. Continue cooking for another 5-7 minutes.
- That's it! Add to tacos or to taco salad.