I looove this breakfast. It’s creamy, cheesy, hearty, and oh-so-satisfying. My favorite protein choice is Apple-Sage Field Roast sausages or Tofurkey Italian sausage (both of which are BLE-compliant), or sometimes I go with black beans or pinto beans.
- 1 oz dry corn grits a.k.a polenta
Veggies (6 oz Total)
- Kale, chard, collard greens, or spinach chopped
- Red onion diced
- Mushrooms sliced (I prefer cremini or portobello)
- Bell pepper diced
- 1/2 cup plant-based milk of choice 4 oz
- 2 oz veggie sausage or 3 oz beans
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1-2 drops liquid smoke be careful, this stuff is strong!
- Pinch smoked paprika
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat a little oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat and sauté the sausage, onions, mushrooms, and peppers for a few minutes. For an oil-free breakfast, dry-sauté the veggies covered with a lid.
- Add a pinch of minced garlic and the greens for the last 2-3 minutes of cooking.
- Meanwhile, cook the grits according to package directions, replacing 1/2 cup (4 oz) of water with the milk. Add the seasonings and the nutritional yeast. Keep adding water if the grits seem to firm up too much. They will continue to firm up a little when you remove them from the heat, just like oatmeal does.
- Combine everything, season to taste, and enjoy this savory, delicious start to your day!
- To weigh this meal, you can weigh the veggies raw and add 1-2 oz to account for it cooking down, or you can cook the veggies separately from the protein.
- For maintenance, use 1.5 oz dry grits instead of 1 oz and use 8 oz milk and mix and match various protein options (sausage, beans, cheese, etc.) for your second protein serving.