Tired of oatmeal for breakfast? Even though I have SO many yummy oatmeal recipes? 🙂 Here’s a nice warm porridgy breakfast change for you. I was surprised at how decadent and delicious this was. It will probably become a regular on my breakfast rotation. The millet has a nice texture and the mashed banana and warm nut butter make for a perfectly sweet and creamy combo. A perfect application for my recent batch of chia fruit spread! Other fruit would work wonderfully too.
Millet Breakfast Porridge
Each Serving Contains:
- 1 Grain Serving
- 1 Protein Serving
- 1 Fruit Serving
- 1 oz millet, dry
- 4 oz milk of choice (1/2 protein)
- 1 oz nut butter of choice (I used cashew) (1/2 protein)
- 1 banana (about 4 oz)
- 2 oz fruit or chia fruit spread to complete fruit serving
Condiments & Spices
- Dash of cinnamon
- Splash of vanilla
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Grain Additions: Use 1.5 oz millet, dry.
- Protein Additions: Double the proteins to 8 oz milk and 2 oz nuts/nut butter.
- Rinse the millet, then place in a small pot with the milk, 1/4 cup additional water, spices and salt.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer gently for about 10-15 minutes or until the millet is cooked and there is a little bit of liquid left.
- Stir in the cashew butter and mashed banana.
- Top with 2 oz additional fruit or chia jam. I took a few nuts out of my nut butter serving to sprinkle on top.
Recipe Source: Katie’s Bright Kitchen