These soft, filling bars are a nutrition powerhouse and perfect for making ahead for travel or a busy week. Steel cut oats give them a dense, bar-like texture, and the bananas and berries provide plenty of natural sweetness.
You can use whatever size pan you have, although the cooking time may vary depending on how thick you make them. I cut the 8 x 8 pan into 6 equal sized pieces and eat two bars for a single breakfast serving.
- 1/2 cup steel cut oats, dry 3 oz
- 3 medium mashed bananas
- 1 cup fresh or frozen berries (or 1/2 cup dry) 6 oz
- 1/2 cup 4 oz nut butter 4 oz
- 1/2 cup nuts and seeds (I love a mix of toasted pecans, hazelnuts, and chopped almonds with a mix of hemp, flax, and chia seeds) 2 oz
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon, apple pie spice, or pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 375 F°
- Mash bananas with a fork or potato masher in a medium mixing bowl.
- Mash in the nut butter and mix well.
- Stir in the oats, nuts, seeds, and fruit.
- Line an 8” x 8” pan with parchment paper or lightly grease or spray with oil if you prefer.
- Pour in the mixture and spread it out in an even layer.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, until darkened or a toothpick comes out clean. I like to bake them a long time so that they are firm and portable.
- Allow the bars to cool for 20 minutes. Cut them into 6 equal pieces, and transfer them to a wire rack.
- When the bars are completely cool, they can be stored in an airtight container for a few days, or they can be frozen.
- For the weight loss food plan, cut the whole pan into 6 equal sized pieces and eat two bars for a single breakfast serving. Two bars contains 1 complete BLE breakfast. Great for travel or breakfast on the go!
This recipe comes from Bright Line Eater Karen, posted here with her permission. She shared this photo with a confession that she used a ruler to make sure they were perfectly divided. If you’ve been in BLE for any stretch of time I’m sure you can relate! 😉