Corn, tomatoes, and pesto are a natural summer pairing. This can also be done with slices of a store bought polenta log, but I love the softer texture of hand-formed polenta. You could also form this into a larger crust pizza, or two personal pizzas. I just think mini-pizzas are so cute!
- 3/8 cup dry polenta or cornmeal 2 oz
Protein & Fat
- 2 oz cheese of choice I use vegan ricotta
- 1 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup walnuts or pine nuts 2 oz
- 1 garlic cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tomato sliced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1/2 tsp oregano dried
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Fresh basil to garnish
- Red pepper flakes to garnish
- Bring 1 cup of water to a boil. Stir in the polenta and seasonings (except garnishes). Turn the heat down to low and whisk until smooth and thickened, 3-4 minutes.
- Set aside to cool or refrigerate for 10 minutes or so.
- Preheat oven to 425° F and line a baking sheet or roasting pan with parchment paper.
- Spoon the polenta mixture onto the parchment paper and shape into mini pizza crusts with your hands or a spoon.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, flipping halfway through with a spatula.
Make the Pesto
- Add the oil, lemon juice, garlic, and fresh herbs to a food processor and pulse until the leaves are all roughly chopped.
- Add nuts and salt and continue to process until the pesto reaches your desired consistency.
Assemble Mini Pizzas
- When the polenta is lightly browned cooked to your liking, top with toppings, return to the oven to brown the toppings if desired, and enjoy! (I think the pesto is more flavorful fresh, rather than cooked, so I like to eat the toppings raw)
- To save time, you can also slice a log of pre-cooked polenta and roast on parchment paper for a few minutes until browned, and add the toppings.
- You can also use pre-made or store bought pesto (but it won’t be nearly as good) 😉
- The pesto above makes two portions and each counts as 1 fat serving and 1/2 protein serving.
- There’s barely any veggies in this recipe, you’ll need to supplement with veggies on the side.