This tasty side dish of soft, yummy garlic beans and greens comes together in less than 5 minutes, and makes for a perfect easy, healthy meal on a busy weeknight.
This is so simple that it’s barely even a recipe, but it’s one of my go-to’s on busy weeknights when I don’t feel like cooking.
These Garlic Beans & Greens Are:
- Easily made from pantry and freezer staples
Fresh Beans vs. Canned
There’s really no contest, freshly cooked beans are always going to be better than canned beans. Freshly cooked beans are soft, flavorful, and oh-so-yummy. They do require the extra step of remembering to dump a cup or two of beans in a pot of water the night before, but cooking your own beans is so hands-off, especially if you have a crockpot or
That said, the point of this recipe is to get healthy food on the table in under 5 minutes, so by all means use canned beans if that’s what will make this meal actually happen!
Fresh or Frozen Greens
You can use any dark, sturdy greens for this dish, including kale, chard, collards, or spinach. If you’re using frozen greens, just be sure to defrost them and squeeze out any excess water first.
The beauty of this dish is in its simplicity, no need to overcomplicate it. All that the soft, yummy white beans need is a kick of garlic, drizzle of olive oil, salt, and pepper. However, I recently learned about putting nutmeg on everything, and that really adds a lovely dimension to these beans. Give it a try!
More Simple Dinner Recipes
- How to Make Bean Soup (Without a Recipe)
- Simple Weeknight Stir Fry w/ Easy Peanut Sauce
- Easy Weeknight Cashew Cabbage Stir Fry
- Easy Cheesy Noodles (Vegan, Oil-Free!)
- How to Create a Buddha Bowl
If you make a pot of garlic beans and greens leave a star rating or comment below! Your feedback is so helpful to me and other readers. You can also tag me in your meal pics on Instagram @katiesconsciouskitchen, or join my free private facebook group to share your creations and inspire others! I love to see what you all are making.
5-Minute Garlic Beans & Greens
- 2 cups white beans, cooked or canned
- 1 bunch kale, or 10 oz fresh or frozen spinach
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- fresh ground nutmeg, a few grinds
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- If using frozen greens, defrost and squeeze excess liquid out before using.
- Add the oil, garlic, and greens to a skillet. Fry over medium-low heat for 3-5 minutes, until the greens are wilted and the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the beans and toss gently to combine.
- Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg to taste.