Here’s a fun way of turning your oatmeal inside out. I love doing this when you feel like a yummy, warm, and decadent (yet healthy) breakfast treat.
- 1/4 cup dry rolled oats 1 oz
- 1 Tbsp pecans or walnuts (0.5 oz) or other nuts of choice
- 2 Tbsp peanut butter (1 oz) or other nut butter of choice
- 1/4 cup plant-based yogurt 2 oz
- 1 large apple I love honeycrisps!
Condiments & Spices
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 tsp apple pie spice or make your own, see notes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Cut the apple into quarters and using the tip of a sharp knife, carefully cut out the centers, removing the core but saving the rest. The goal is to leave an apple-boat behind to put the filling into.
- Dice the apple that you carved out.
- In a small pot or small skillet, combine the oats, 1/2 cup of water, the diced apple, lemon juice, and spices.
- Cook for 5 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the oats are cooked and the apples are softened.
- Spoon this mixture into the scooped out apple boats and place in a cast iron skillet or baking dish.
- Sprinkle the apple boats with cinnamon before baking.
- Bake for about 20 minutes with a lid to keep the moisture in. Then remove the lid and bake for 10 minutes, to crisp them up a little bit.
- Remove the apples from the oven when they are lovely and soft.
- Thin the peanut butter with a bit of water or yogurt, to make a pourable sauce. Pour the peanut butter sauce on top, garnish with a dollop of yogurt, and sprinkle the pecans (and maybe more cinnamon) on top.
- Admire how pretty and delicious your meal is, feel gratitude and then mash it all up and eat it!
- DIY Apple Pie Spice:
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 cardamom
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- To make this breakfast gluten-free, be sure to use certified gluten-free oats. Oats are a naturally gluten-free grain, but are often processed with products containing gluten and this contamination can be enough to trigger an immune response in those with high gluten sensitivity or celiac disease.