This easy bbq tempeh and slaw is one of my favorite weeknight meals. It comes together in under 20 minutes, and is packed with flavor reminiscent of summer picnics. This is also a perfect vegetarian option for a summer cookout, and is beautifully paired with some sweet grilled corn.
More Easy Weeknight Dinners:
- Easy Weeknight Curry (Vegan)
- Simple Weeknight Stir Fry w/ Easy Peanut Sauce
- 5-Minute Garlic Beans & Greens
- Easy Weeknight Cashew Cabbage Stir Fry
If you make this easy bbq tempeh and slaw, leave a star rating or comment below! Your feedback is so helpful to me and other readers. You can also tag me in your meal pics on Instagram @katiesconsciouskitchen, or join my free private facebook group to share your creations and inspire others! I love to see what you all are making.
Easy BBQ Tempeh & 5-Minute Slaw
- 1 package tempeh, cut into triangles, cubes, or slabs
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce, storebought
- 2 cups shredded cabbage, or kale, or a mix of both
- 1 grated carrot, optional
- 1 tbsp vegan mayonnaise, or regular mayonnaise if not vegan
- 1 tbsp white vinegar, or lemon juice, lime juice, apple cider vinegar, or red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro, or parsley
- 1 tsp sunflower seeds, or other seeds of choice, optional
- 1 tsp dried cranberries, optional, if you have them, or substitute grated apple or a drizzle of honey for a little sweetness
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the tempeh on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and brush it with about half of the BBQ sauce.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes, until beginning to dry out. Remove from the oven and brush the rest of the sauce on the tempeh, then return it to the oven for another 2-3 minutes. Adding sauce in two layers like this improves the flavor and texture, and prevents the tempeh from drying out.
- To make the slaw, toss all the ingredients together and let sit for 5 minutes or so, for the veggies to soften and absorb the dressing. This slaw can also be made a few hours ahead and refrigerated until mealtime.