This salad happened one day when I was throwing together a lazy meal from random things in the fridge, and I liked it so much that it became a lunch staple for several weeks in a row. This is so simple that it’s barely a recipe, but I was so delighted at how yummy it was that I had to share!
Because I usually batch prep beets ahead for the week, this is a 5-minute meal. Every weekend I cook up a pound or two of beets in the
- Cooked beets, cold, sliced
- A handful of salad greens or sprouts
- 3 oz chickpeas, cooked or canned (1/2 protein serving)
- 1 oz walnuts, 1/2 protein serving
- 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 oz avocado
- Splash of apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Toss everything together. Doesn’t get much simpler than that!
- I don’t bother to make this salad in large quantities ahead of time since it is so easy to throw together at meal time. I store the ingredients separately in the fridge so that the walnuts and greens don’t get slimy. If I were to prepare it ahead, I’d leave out the oil and toss it with the oil before serving.
How to Batch Prep Beets:
I buy small beets (because I find that they cook more evenly and quickly than large beets) and I put them unwashed and unpeeled in a steamer basket inside the
This salad is very versatile. Feel free to add in other veggies. I used a single serving size for this recipe so that it could be an easy, one-person lunch throw together or easily scalable for a crowd.