This salad happened one day when I was throwing together a lazy meal from random things in the fridge, and I liked it so much that it became a salad staple in my weekly meal rotation. This is so simple that it’s barely a recipe, but I was so delighted at how yummy it was that I had to share.
Because I usually batch prep beets ahead for the week, this is a 5-minute meal. Every weekend I cook up a pound or two of beets in the Instant Pot which keep well in the refrigerator for about a week.
Recently, however, I’ve discovered the pre-cooked shrink wrapped beets at the grocery store, which I must admit I’ve been going for lately instead of cooking my own.
- Cooked beets cold, sliced
- A handful of salad greens or sprouts
- 3 oz chickpeas cooked or canned (1/2 protein serving)
- 1 oz walnuts 1/2 protein serving
- 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 oz avocado
- Splash of apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Toss everything together. Doesn’t get much simpler than that!
- I don’t bother to make this salad in large quantities ahead of time since it is so easy to throw together at meal time. I store the ingredients separately in the fridge so that the walnuts and greens don’t get slimy. If I were to prepare it ahead, I’d leave out the oil and toss it with the oil before serving.
How to Batch Prep Beets:
I buy small beets (because I find that they cook more evenly and quickly than large beets) and I put them unwashed and unpeeled in a steamer basket inside the Instant Pot. I add a cup or so or water and pressure cook them for 12-15 minutes. I run them under cold water and the peels slide right off. Then I store the cooked, peeled, sliced beets in a container in my fridge for the week’s lunches and salads. Before I had an Instant Pot, I boiled them in a big pot on the stove for about an hour, or until fork tender, and did the same thing with the cold water to peel.
This salad is very versatile. Feel free to add in other veggies. I used a single serving size for this recipe so that it could be an easy, one-person lunch throw together or easily scalable for a crowd.