Pumpkin purée gives this festive and flavorful fall chili it’s smooth, creamy texture. I love the notes of sweetness contributed by the addition of pumpkin pie spice.
- 1 15-oz can pumpkin puree unsweetened
- 1 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes including liquid
- 1 medium onion diced, 9 oz
- 1 bell pepper diced, 9 oz
- 1.5 cups dry black beans (pre-soaked 6-8 hrs) 9.5 oz dry
Condiments & Spices
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 Tbsp cumin
- 2 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp good quality sea salt
- avocado, sliced 2 oz = 1 fat
- cheese (plant-based or dairy) 2 oz = 1 fat
- cream cheese (plant-based or dairy) 1 oz = 1 fat
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- red onions, minced
- green onions, sliced
- jalapeño, seeds removed and minced
- Hot sauce
- Corn chips to scoop!
Instant Pot Instructions
- Pre-soak your beans for 6-8 hours, or use the Instant Pot “Quick Soak” method: Put the beans in the pot and add water to about 1 inch above the level of the beans. Close the pot lid to Sealing. Set it to Manual (high pressure) for 5 minutes. Use Natural Release (about 12 minutes). There! Your beans just “soaked!” Rinse, drain, and proceed as if you were using pre-soaked beans.
- Place your inner pot on your food scale and weigh out 16 oz of onions and peppers.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, broth, and dried beans.
- Place the inner pot in the Instant Pot and close the pot lid to Sealing.
- Set to Manual (high pressure) for 18 minutes. When it beeps, carefully use Quick Release.
- If the beans aren’t fully cooked, no problem, put the lid back on and set the cook time for 2-3 minutes. Repeat if needed. If there’s too much liquid after cooking, turn on the Sauté function and simmer, uncovered, for a few minutes to reduce the liquid.
- Stir in pumpkin and salt. Divide into 4 equal sized servings, garnish, and enjoy!
- Adjust the liquid in the recipe to 3 cups instead of 2. Put everything into a crockpot (except the garnishes, obviously)
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours. Check on the liquid once in a while and add more if needed.
- Divide into 4 equal sized servings, garnish, and enjoy!