Who said salad wasn’t a breakfast food? This nourishing morning meal comes together in only 15 minutes! It’s packed with nutrition, and combines freshness and crunch from the arugula and raw sprouted lentils, satisfying starchiness from the potatoes (which can be added warm or cold), creaminess and tang from a simple balsamic dressing, and a kick from spring onions and black pepper.
This Breakfast Salad is:
- Fresh and crunchy
- Perfect for spring
- Great for lunch too!
How to Sprout Lentils
You can always just use cooked lentils in a pinch, but I love sprouted lentils in a context like this. This time of year I always have a jar of sprouts going. For my instructions on how to sprout lentils, check out this post. It takes 2-3 days to get edible sprouts, but once they have tails they can be stored in the fridge for two weeks (with occasional rinses) without going bad!
One of my favorite benefits of living, sprouted food is that it isn’t perishable in the same way as cut vegetables, and you can make a big jar of fresh crunchy sprouts from only 2 tablespoons of lentils (which costs literally pennies!)
More Yummy Salad Inspiration:
- Fennel, Apple & Walnut Salad
- Mandarin & Almond Salad w/ Ginger Sesame Dressing
- Vegan Kale Caesar Salad w/ Chickpea Croutons
- Warm Kale & Apple Salad w/ Tempeh & Shallots
- Cherry Almond Salad w/ Quinoa, Millet & Mint
- Spring Roll Salad w/ Peanut Dressing
If you make this breakfast salad, leave a star rating or comment below! Your feedback is so helpful to me and other readers. You can also tag me in your meal pics on Instagram @katiesconsciouskitchen, or join my free private facebook group to share your creations and inspire others! I love to see what you all are making.
Breakfast Salad w/ Asparagus, Sprouts & Potatoes
- 1/4 lb baby potatoes, halved or quartered
- 1/2 cup sprouted lentils, or use regular cooked lentils or any sprouts of choice
- 4 asparagus spears, trimmed and chopped into 1″ pieces
- 1 handful of arugula, or other spring salad greens
- A sprinkle of chopped green onions
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Dressing (Single Serving)
- 1 Tbsp good quality olive oil
- 1 tsp good quality balsamic vinegar
- Small squeeze of lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp Dijon mustard, optional
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder, or finely minced fresh garlic
- Drop the potatoes into a small pot of boiling water and cook until fork tender, around 10-20 minutes depending on the size of the dice. Remove the potatoes with a slotted spoon and.
- In the same pot of boiling water water, blanch the asparagus by dropping chopped asparagus in boiling water for 1-2 minutes until bright green, then drain.
- Whisk the dressing together in a cup or blend in a small blender cup for a more emulsified dressing.
- Gently toss together the greens, potatoes, asparagus, and lentil sprouts with the dressing.
- Sprinkle with green onions and add salt and pepper to taste.
- The potatoes and asparagus can be cooked in advance and added cold to the salad for an even quicker meal.
- This is written up as a single serving because I tend to make this just for myself, but feel free to batch cook and scale this recipe up.
- Feel free to add other sprouts or microgreens to this salad, and any other veggies that inspire you!