This beautiful breakfast is best in late summer when tomatoes are at their sweetest, and basil is bursting from the garden. For another variation, try the same toppings on polenta rounds.
Potatoes (Grain Alternative)
- 1 lb large yellow potatoes
- 1.5 cups fresh diced tomatoes 10 oz
- 1/4 cup sweet onion, finely diced 2 oz
- 1/4 cup cheese of choice (I use almond ricotta) 2 oz
- 1/8 cup pine nuts 1 oz
- 1 Tbsp olive oil 0.5 oz
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp lemon juice or white wine vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 400° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice the potatoes into large rounds about 1/4” thick and place on baking sheet in a single layer. Brush with a tiny bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast 20-25 minutes, until cooked.
- To make the topping, gently stir together the tomato, sweet onion, olive oil, pine nuts, and seasonings in a small bowl.
- When the potatoes are cooked, top the rounds with the tomato mixture. Enjoy!
Below are a few more variations on this theme, which are permutations of pesto, vegan ricotta, potatoes, polenta, and tomatoes.