This festive butter bean and pumpkin chili is perfect for fall and comes together in less than 30 minutes! In addition to the usual suspects of chili powder and cumin, this chili also contains pumpkin pie spice – which gives the chili a sweet & spicy character that pairs beautifully with creamy pumpkin purée.
This Butter Bean Pumpkin Chili Is:
- Warm & comforting
- Thick & creamy
- Unnoticeably vegan
- Versatile and easy to modify
- Great for batch prep
- Easy to make oil-free
- Quick to make
- Crockpot and Instant Pot friendly
- Easy peasy
- Mostly made from pantry staples
- A serious crowd pleaser!
Fresh Pumpkin vs. Canned Pumpkin
This chili can be made with canned, frozen, or roasted pumpkin. You can also swap the pumpkin butternut squash or sweet potato and honestly nobody will notice the difference with the addition of the warming fall spices. I love the silky, starchy butter beans but white or black beans will work here too.
Dried Beans vs. Canned Beans
There aren’t many things yummier than freshly cooked butter beans! They are soooo soft and buttery and if you have the foresight and patience to cook them from dry it’s so worth it! Canned beans work fine too if you’re pressed for time. If using dry beans, soak them the night before and simmer them in fresh water for an hour or two (depending on the freshness and size of the beans) until they are soft but slightly undercooked. Drain them and add them to the chili when you would add the canned beans, so that they finish cooking in the chili.
Crockpot, Stovetop, or Instant Pot
This recipe works great in a crockpot, on the stove, or in an Instant Pot. In the wintertime, I like to set a heavy bottomed pot of chili on top of our wood burning stove and let it simmer there for hours. So cozy!! With a crockpot, just add all the ingredients and simmer for 6-8 hours on low, or 3-4 hours on high. For the Instant Pot, reduce the liquid by 1 cup and cook everything for 4-5 minutes on high pressure. Adjust the spices to taste after cooking.
Butter Bean & Pumpkin Chili
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 cups pumpkin puree, about 1 can, or 2-3 handfuls of cubed raw or roasted pumpkin
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups cooked or canned butter beans, about 2 cans
- 1 tbsp olive oil, 1/2 oz
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups veggie stock or water, or try pumpkin ale for a fun boozy twist!
- 2 tsp cumin ground
- 11/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp salt
- minced red onion, optional, to garnish
- dollop of sour cream, use vegan sour cream for an entirely plant-based meal
- sprinkle of pumpkin seeds, optional, to garnish
- In a large heavy bottomed stock pot, sauté the onions and carrots (and cubed pumpkin or squash if using) in a bit of oil for 15 minutes or so, stirring occasionally, until soft.
- Add the garlic and stir for a minute or so.
- Add the tomatoes, broth, beans, and seasonings. Simmer for another 15 minutes or so, to meld the flavors.
- Ladle out a few cups of the chili into a blender (or use an immersion blender) to partially blend some of the chili. Adjust consistency with broth or water as needed.
- Adjust seasoning to taste (I often add more salt, cinnamon, or chili powder)
- Garnish with a dollop of sour cream, minced onion, pumpkin seeds, or fresh thyme.
If you make this butter bean and pumpkin chili, leave a star rating or comment below! Your feedback is so helpful to me and other readers. You can also tag me in your meal pics on Instagram @katiesconsciouskitchen, or join my free private facebook group to share your creations and inspire others! I love to see what you all are making.