Last week I got this sweet e-mail from long-time reader Antoinette:
I have enjoyed your recipes so much since the start of my BLE journey in December 2017. I have recently found out that my body doesn’t react well to any grains, sugar (including fruit) and dairy. There aren’t many Paleo BLE’ers on Instagram, and I was wondering if you (since you are a genius BLE chef & recipe developer) didn’t want to explore that avenue a bit for those of us who are not able to have any grains, might need to limit fruit and avoid dairy. I have the grains alternative food plan, and I know there are some suggestions there, but thought I’d reach out from a struggling fan’s perspective and ask for inspiration.
So glad you reached out Antoinette, and I hope this post helps give you (and other grain-free eaters) some fresh ideas!
Before I share the recipe that I created specifically for Antoinette, I want to mention a few other grain-free breakfast recipes on my blog that might be helpful for others with similar dietary needs.
And now, onto this week’s breakfast creation, which I’m calling the Antoinette Bowl 🙂
This savory hash uses taco seasoning and chipotle sauce to give naturally sweet roasted butternut squash a nice spicy kick, with crispy kale, black beans, baked eggs, and lime and cilantro to tie it all together. A decadent breakfast-for-one or easily scalable to feed the whole family.
To make this ahead so that there’s less work to do before coffee, you can roast the butternut squash ahead of time, and store in the fridge. In the morning, toss with the beans and greens, crack in the eggs, and bake for a quick and decadent breakfast.
Grain & Veggies
- 1.5 cups cubed butternut squash about 14 oz raw
- 1 cup kale, chard, or spinach chopped
- 1 tsp taco or fajita seasoning or use a mix of cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, and garlic powder
- Salt & pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup black beans, drained 1.5 oz
Chipotle Lime Sauce
- 1 Tbsp tahini 1/2 oz
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- Chipotle chili paste or powder to taste
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar optional
- water to thin
- Fresh cilantro or green onions chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375° and line an oven-proof dish or sheet pan with parchment paper. Add the cubed butternut squash (and/or sweet potato) and toss with a small splash of olive oil, and a generous amount of salt, pepper, and your favorite taco or fajita seasoning.
- Roast for 25-30 minutes, or until browned and soft.
Make the Sauce
- Stir together the sauce ingredients with a fork in a small cup, adding water to thin until pourable. I like to make a single serving at time, but you could also make a larger batch ahead of time.
Bake The Eggs
- Remove the squash from the oven and reduce the oven temperature to 350°. Add the kale and beans to the cooked squash and gently toss, adding a bit more oil and seasoning if desired.
- Create a well for the egg(s) and carefully crack the egg into it. Season with a bit more salt and pepper and return to the oven.
- Bake, uncovered, until the whites are cooked but the yolk is still runny, about 10 minutes. Keep an eye on it, it's easy to under or overcook it.
Garnish & Serve
- Gently slide the yummy meal off of the parchment paper onto a plate, drizzle with the sauce, and garnish as desired.
View this post on Instagram
This savory hash uses taco seasoning and chipotle sauce to give naturally sweet roasted butternut squash a nice spicy kick, with crispy kale, black beans, baked eggs, and lime and cilantro to tie it all together. A decadent breakfast-for-one or easily scalable to feed the whole family. Full recipe at https://katiesbrightkitchen.com/2020/05/16/butternut-breakfast-hash-w-chipotle-sauce 💜 . . . #mindfuleating #consciouseating #healthyfood #healthyeating #foodfreedom #plantpowered #brightlines #intuitiveeating #nourishing #consciouseatingcommunity #healthy #plantbased #plantbaseddiet #plantbasedrecipes #delicious #eathealthy #eatclean #eatyourveggies #eatwell #yum #vegan #intuitiveeatingjourney #joyfuleating #weightlossrecipes #veganfood #brightlinefoodies #veganrecipes #wfpb #brightlineeating #brightlinebites