This pretty grain dish is very simple, while also being elegant, flavorful, and delicious. Perfect for a holiday table!
- 1 cup dry quinoa, rinsed
- 1 butternut squash, cubed
- Seeds from 1 pomegranate
- Fresh thyme leaves
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Pinch of good quality sea salt
Cook the Quinoa
- Add dry quinoa to a saucepan with 1.5 cups water and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium low and simmer 15-20 minutes, until the water has evaporated. Remove from heat and leave the lid on for 5-10 minutes to steam it for best texture. Fluff with a fork.
Roast the Squash
- Arrange the oven rack to be evenly spaced in the middle, not too close to the top or bottom of the oven. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Line a large sheet pan or baking sheet with parchment paper (not wax paper!) Distribute the cubed squash in a single layer on the pan, giving them a little space. Lightly drizzle oil on them (they don't need much because of the parchment paper), add a pinch of salt, pepper, and cinnamon and toss to coat with your hands.
- Roast for 30 minutes, or until the squash is soft and browned.
- While you’re waiting for the squash and quinoa to cook, remove the seeds from your pomegranate. This can take a little while, so get into a zen groove.
- Toss everything together! Serve warm or cold.