This red curry with butternut squash is one of my all-time favorite curry recipes. Butternut squash and peanut butter make this curry extra satisfying, and pair beautifully with the rich, creamy coconut milk and flavorful, warming spices. Made in one pot in 30 minutes, this curry is a perfect easy weeknight meal and great for batch cooking. It’s vegan too, but nobody will notice.
This Butternut Squash Curry is:
- Super flavorful
- Easy to make
- Made in one pot
- Perfect for batch cooking
- Nutrient packed
- Made in less than 30 minutes
Ingredients & Substitutions
This recipe is very versatile! Swap butternut for pumpkin, spinach for kale, peanut butter for almond butter, chickpeas for tofu, throw in carrots and green beans, and so on. Use whatever you’ve got. Just make sure to use a good quality curry paste. I recommend this brand.
How to Peel and Cut Butternut Squash
Peeling and chopping butternut squash can be intimidating if you don’t know how to do it, and if you don’t have a big knife. Here’s a great video tutorial. Or, just buy pre-cubed squash. I won’t judge.
Looking for More Easy Vegan One-Pot Dinners?
- Easy Weeknight Curry (Vegan)
- Butternut Squash & Red Lentil Soup
- Eggplant & Butter Bean Stew
- Southwest Quinoa (One Pot!)
- Easy Mediterranean Sheet Pan Dinner
- Yellow Curry w/ Mango & Cashews
- Coconut Curry Lentil Soup
If you make this butternut squash curry, leave a comment below, rate it, or tag me in your meal pics on Instagram @katiesconsciouskitchen. Or, join my facebook group to share your creations and inspire others! I love to see what you all are making out there.
30-Minute Butternut Squash Curry
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 butternut squash, small dice
- 2 handfuls of spinach, optional, add after cooking
- 1 cup chickpeas, cooked or canned
- 1/4 cup peanut butter , 2 oz
- 1 can coconut milk, any kind
- 1 tbsp red curry paste
- 2 tsp yellow curry powder
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger root, peeled and grated
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- roasted peanuts or cashews, to garnish
- lime wedges, to garnish
- fresh cilantro, to garnish
- Add the butternut squash and onions to a deep skillet or pot, along with a splash of oil (or water if cooking oil-free).
- Cover with a lid and simmer over medium low heat, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes or until the butternut squash is soft.
- Add the ginger and garlic, and stir for another minute, until fragrant.
- Add the red curry paste, yellow curry powder, coconut milk, peanut butter, and chickpeas. Thin with a little water or broth if desired.
- Simmer for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. You want the butternut squash to be so soft that it disintegrates into the sauce.
- Add the spinach for the last minute or so of cooking.
- Serve atop rice and garnish with crushed nuts, cilantro, and lime wedges.