This light but filling butternut squash & red lentil soup is great for using up leftover puréed squash or pumpkin. Be sure to use small red lentils here, as green or brown lentils won’t work well. Enjoy this flavorful and easy meal!
- 1/2 onion, 4 oz, small dice
- 1 large butternut squash, 2 lbs, halved lengthwise with seeds removed (this recipe works well with pumpkin too)
- 1 cup 2.5 oz red lentils (not green or brown)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup 8 oz coconut milk (regular fat)
- some reserved for decorative drizzle
Seasonings & Garnish
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 inch piece of fresh ginger, 1 T, peeled and grated or minced
- 1 Tbsp curry paste or powder
- Pinch of red chili flakes, to garnish
- 2 cups 16 oz veg broth, more to thin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 of a lime, juiced
Option 1: Using Roasted Squash
- Using roasted squash in this recipe gives the soup a deeper, sweeter flavor. However, if you're short on time you can skip the roasting and just add raw cubed squash to the pot with the other ingredients.
- To roast the squash, first cut your squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds with a spoon.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and brush the squash halves with oil, and generously salt, and pepper.
- Roast at 400°F for 30-40 minutes, until soft. Allow it to cool for 10 minutes or so, then scoop out the squash from the peel and set it aside.
Option 2: Using Raw, Diced Squash
- If not roasting the squash ahead, add the raw squash to the soup pot at the same time as the lentils and vegetable broth. (See below)
Making the Soup
- In a heavy bottomed soup pot, sauté the onions, garlic, and ginger for a few minutes over medium heat, until fragrant.
- Add the squash (raw cubes or roasted), lentils, and vegetable broth.
- Simmer gently for 20 minutes or so, until the lentils are cooked. Add broth as needed.
- Stir in the coconut milk and curry paste or powder when the lentils are getting close. Mash the squash a bit too. Be careful not to boil the coconut milk as it is delicate and will burn.
- Remove from heat, add the lime, and taste and adjust seasonings as desired.