Warm, soft cabbage and brown rice drenched with peanut sauce and sprinkled with crunchy cashews is basically my definition of cozy comfort food. This tasty meal comes together in 20 minutes, even less if you’ve already got peanut sauce around. Enjoy!
Cabbage & Cashew Bowl w/ Peanut Sauce
- 3 cups cabbage, any type, shredded
- 1 cup stir fry vegetables, broccoli, bell peppers, onion, snow peas, carrots, celery, mung bean sprouts, etc.
- 8 oz mushrooms, I like crimini or shiitake, sliced
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil, or other oil – the sesame contributes a nice Asian flavor but any oil is fine
Peanut Sauce (Makes 2 Servings)
- 1/4 cup roasted cashews
- 1/2 tsp sesame seeds
- cooked rice, to serve, optional
- In a skillet over medium heat, add the mushrooms along with a splash of sesame oil and soy sauce. Cover with a lid and cook for a few minutes until browned. If they are sticking, add a splash of water to steam them a little.
- Add your stir fry veggies of choice including the shredded cabbage and continue to cook. Place a lid over the pan to steam it slightly. Stir occasionally, and transfer to bowls when the cabbage is softened to your liking. I usually only cook it for 5-10 minutes because I like it a bit crunchy.
- Meanwhile, make the peanut sauce by blending the ingredients in a small blender cup, or use an immersion blender in a wide mouth jar.
- Toss the cashews into the cabbage and mushroom mixture and serve. Drizzle with peanut sauce and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Serve with rice if desired, but this is yummy and filling on it’s own!