This breakfast has flavors reminiscent of cherry pie without any added sweeteners. If you make the cherry chia compote ahead of time (and enlist the labor of friends and family to pit cherries) this is a super quick and delicious way to dress up your morning oats.
- 1/4 cup rolled oats 1 oz
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbsp super seeds of choice hemp, flax, chia
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Tiny pinch of sea salt
Cherry Chia Compote
- 1 cup pitted cherries, halved or quartered 6 oz
- 1/2 tsp chia seeds
- 1 Tbsp water more if needed
- 1/2 cup yogurt 4 oz
- 1 Tbsp toasted pecans or walnuts 1 oz
- Sprinkle of granola, optional 0.5 oz
- Cherry halves to garnish
Cherry Chia Compote
- Pit and chop the cherries.
- Combine the cherries with the chia seeds and water in a small saucepan. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, mashing gently with a fork, until they are the consistency of a loose jam.
- Alternatively, you can make a larger batch of cherry chia compote ahead of time and store it in the fridge.
Make the Oatmeal
- While the cherries are cooking, combine the oatmeal ingredients in a small pot and simmer for 5 minutes on low heat, or stir the ingredients together in a microwavable bowl and microwave for about 3 minutes. Use more or less water depending on how thick you like your oats.
- Alternatively, you can make overnight oats by mixing the oatmeal ingredients ahead of time in a jar or bowl and refrigerating overnight. Feel free to swap the water for milk or half yogurt and half water for creamier oats.
- Top the oats with the cherry compote, yogurt, a few chopped cherries for decoration, and a sprinkle of granola if desired.
- To make this breakfast gluten-free, be sure to use certified gluten-free oats. Oats are a naturally gluten-free grain, but are often processed with products containing gluten and this contamination can be enough to trigger an immune response in those with high gluten sensitivity or celiac disease.