Back when I was experimenting with cutting sugar out of my diet entirely, I wanted something jammy to put on my flourless waffles and pancakes. Don’t get me wrong, I loooove me some Simple Fruit Compote, but sometimes I wanted something more spreadable. Then I found out about this brilliant trick using the magical properties of chia seeds. They absorb the extra liquid and contribute a bit of a gummy texture. They are perfect for firming up your simple fruit compote if you want a more structured, chunkier jam but would prefer not to dump in an entire bag of sugar.
There are 2 ingredients here, just berries and chia seeds. No sweetener or thickeners needed! The frozen berries are placed into a pot and simmered gently for a few minutes with some chia seeds. That’s it!
You’ll need to experiment with the amount of chia seeds you need to get your preferred texture. This will vary from batch to batch depending on the type of fruit, the amount of liquid, and how large of a batch you’re making. I usually start with 1 Tbsp of chia seeds for about 2-3 cups of fruit, and then let it firm up completely overnight. If it’s still too runny, I’ll stir in another teaspoon or so and wait a few more hours.
Experiment with different kinds of fruit. I’ve made this with frozen fruit and fresh fruit, both are delicious. I’d suggest raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, blueberries, peaches, plums, and apricots.
- 2-3 cups fresh or frozen fruit
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- Stir the berries and chia seeds together in a saucepan.
- Simmer, covered with a lid, for 5-10 minutes, until softened. Add 1 Tbsp of water to loosen the jam if it seems too thick.
- Gently mash with a fork to your desired smoothness.
- Transfer to a jar or lidded container and enjoy warm or refrigerate. Keep in mind that it will continue to thicken up in the refrigerator, so if you eat it right away it will be runnier, but still perfectly yummy! If you refrigerate it, it will set and become more of a jam-like consistency.
- This will keep well in the fridge for a few days.
My Favorite Applications of Chia Jam
- On Oatie Pancakes
- On Lemony Quinoa Pancakes
- On Banana Oat Waffles
- On Overnight Oats
- With peanut butter for PB & Overnight Oats
- Swirled into yogurt
- On warm oatmeal
- In a Vanilla Chia Pudding Parfait
- On top of Millet Porridge
What else do you love to do with chia jam? Share in the comments!