These delicious corn cakes can take on either a sweet or savory character. Be sure to use cornmeal or polenta, not corn flour. For savory cakes, remove the sweet seasonings, add a pinch of Italian herbs, and top with my beloved Chipotle Lime Sauce. Or, make these for dinner and top with bean chili and avocado.
Note that these contain a little bit of flour.
- 2/3 cup fine yellow cornmeal or polenta 4 oz
- 1/3 cup flour of choice 1.5 oz
Fruit & Veggies
- 1/4 cup frozen or fresh corn kernels optional
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce or swap for 2 Tbsp of melted vegan butter, grapeseed oil, or avocado oil
- 1 cup milk of choice (I use almond milk) 8 oz
- Fresh berries
- Drizzle of honey
- Pat of vegan butter or dairy
- Mix all ingredients except toppings together in a medium-sized bowl.
- Let the batter sit for 10-15 minutes to thicken. It will seem way too wet, but the polenta will hydrate as it sits.
- Heat a nonstick pan on medium-low heat. If desired, add a tiny splash of oil (this is not necessary but it makes them nicely crispy around the edges).
- Cook for 5-6 minutes, until risen and holding together when poked with a spatula. Flip and cook for 2 minutes on other side.
- If the batter is still a little runny you can push the edges toward the center with a spatula as they cook to shape them.
- Top with butter, honey, and fresh berries.
- Batter can be made ahead and stored in the fridge to cook on demand.
- For a gluten free breakfast, use a gluten-free flour blend.
*Affiliate Link Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I earn a small commission on sales made from my links at no extra cost to you. The products I recommend in my posts are only brands that I can personally recommend and use myself.