This warming daal and savory cauliflower pairs beautifully with the cooling cucumber raita.
- 1 small head of cauliflower 9 oz
- 1/2 of a cucumber, small dice 3 oz
- 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes 2 oz
- 1 small onion, leek, or shallot 4 oz
- 1/2 cup dry red lentils or moong daal 3.5 oz
- 1/2 cup plant-based yogurt 4 oz
- Sprinkle of chopped hazelnuts
- 1 Tbsp cooking oil
- 1/4 cup coconut milk 2 oz
- 1/2 inch ginger minced or grated
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp cumin seeds whole
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder or cayenne
- Pinch of curry powder
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped cilantro mint, or scallions
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Rub the cauliflower with a bit of coconut oil, a pinch of curry powder, and generously salt and pepper. Roast for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sauté the onion and seasonings (except for the curry powder and chopped herbs) in the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat for 5-7 minutes.
- When fragrant, add the lentils, coconut milk, and tomatoes, along with a cup of broth or water. Simmer until the lentils are cooked (about 15 minutes), adding water if needed. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Combine the cucumber, herbs, and yogurt. Plate, garnish and serve.
*Affiliate Link Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I earn a small commission on sales made from my links at no extra cost to you. The products I recommend in my posts are only brands that I can personally recommend and use myself.