I’m not really sure what to call this one, but it is delicious, and melty, and soft, and meaty, and tomatoey, and it’s just the best thing ever. It’s super simple – eggplant, garlic, and tomato sauce, baked until the eggplant disintegrates and you are left with rich melty eggplanty saucy goodness.
This is something my husband makes that has been passed down in his family. He says that his step mother used to bake eggplant and garlic in tons of oil and marinara all day long in the oven at a really low temperature. We are both too lazy and impatient for that, so this is the easy version.
This recipe makes 4 servings at a time and is an excellent one for batch cooking or for feeding families or company.
- 2 medium eggplants
- 4 Tbsp olive oil 2 oz
- 1 jar of marinara sauce
- good quality sea salt pepper, oregano
- 4-5 garlic cloves whole
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice the eggplants into lengthwise chunks about the length and width of two fingers.
- Put the eggplant into a casserole dish or baking dish and add the oil.
- Dump the jar marinara sauce on top.
- Sprinkle about a teaspoon each of salt, pepper, and oregano.
- Throw a few whole garlic cloves on top.
- Stir it all together and place in the oven, covered with a lid.
- Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring every 20-25 minutes and stabbing the eggplant with a fork to mash it slightly.
View this post on Instagram
This one is a favorite in our house, we make it at least once per week! This dish is delicious, melty, soft, hearty, tomatoey, and just so satisfying. Sometimes the tastiest meals are super simple, this is just eggplant, garlic, and tomato sauce, baked until the eggplant disintegrates and you are left with rich melty eggplanty saucy goodness. Perfect for batch cooking or for feeding families or company. I like it over legume pasta. Full recipe at https://katiesbrightkitchen.com/2017/07/30/delicious-melty-eggplant/