The beauty of overnight porridge is that there is no cooking involved! I love this recipe for when I know I won’t have a lot of time in the morning and just want to throw some fruit in a bowl and eat. It’s also great for travel, road trips, or camping. I bring pre-measured ingredients in individual tupperware containers and make my breakfasts by mixing my porridge up the night before.
For topping combinations and ideas, check out this post.
- 1 oz dry rolled oats or instant oats steel cut doesn’t work here
- 4 oz yogurt or milk
- 0.5 oz super seed mix I use a mix of all three!
- 0.5 nuts for topping
- 6 oz fresh fruit
Condiments & Spices
- Experiment with spices such as cinnamon, vanilla, cardamom, ginger, apple pie spice, etc.
- Stir together oats, yogurt or milk, seeds, and cinnamon.
- If using yogurt, you’ll need to add water so it doesn’t turn in to cement. Experiment with the texture you like best. I add about 1/8 cup water. It should be fairly runny because the oats and seeds will soak up a lot of the moisture.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, top with fruit and nuts and you have an instant breakfast!
- For a heartier breakfast, increase the amounts to 1.5 oz of dry oats and use 6 oz yogurt or milk. Keep the seeds the same and increase the nuts to 2 oz for topping. YUM!
Tips for Batch Prepping
I weigh out all the dry ingredients into individual containers in batches, a week’s worth at a time, and store them in the cupboard. The night before all I have to do is throw one on the scale and add the milk or yogurt. Easy!!