This easy, healthy weeknight vegan burrito bowl is packed with punchy, southwest flavors that will satisfy all kinds of eaters! It comes together in less than 30 minutes, and is great for batch cooking.
Batch Prep Tips
This meal is great for batch prepping ahead for the week. Prep the components each separately and either store them in the fridge in large containers or ziplocs for quick reheat and assembly or pre-assemble them in individual on-the-go meal containers. Keep fresh ingredients (e.g. lettuce, fresh salsa, avocado, dressing) separate from hot ingredients (rice, beans, protein) and combine the two after reheating
- Gluten free: this meal is already gluten free!
- Vegetarian instead of vegan: add a dollop of sour cream or a sprinkle of grated cheddar cheese.
- For meat eaters: add some seasoned ground beef or shredded chicken.
- Grain free: leave out the rice and swap in tortilla chips.
- Nightshade free: leave out the peppers from the fajita veggies and salsa.
Other Delicious Pairings
Pro Tip: Don’t Overcomplicate Your Burrito Bowl!
You might feel tempted to season the beans, or over-season the veggies. In my experience, the delicious flavors in this dish come from the combination of simple ingredients, not from any one thing. Use sweet and bright condiments like a squeeze of lime or Mango & Pineapple Salsa, and don’t overcomplicate the individual elements.
If you make this vegan burrito bowl, leave a star rating or comment below! Your feedback is so helpful to me and other readers. You can also tag me in your meal pics on Instagram @katiesconsciouskitchen, or join my free private facebook group to share your creations and inspire others! I love to see what you all are making.
More Easy Weeknight Meals You’ll Love:
- Simple Weeknight Stir Fry w/ Easy Peanut Sauce
- Quick Weeknight Vegan Curry
- Easy Cheesy Noodles (Vegan, Oil-Free!)
- Easy Weeknight Cashew Cabbage Stir Fry
- Tofu Fried Rice
- 5-Minute Garlic Beans & Greens
- Cabbage & Cashew Bowl w/ Peanut Sauce
- How to Create a Buddha Bowl
Easy Vegan Burrito Bowls
- 2 cups beans, cooked or canned, such as black beans or pinto beans
- 1 cup brown rice, dry
Sautéed Veggie Options (Fajita Style)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced into long strips
- 1 bell pepper, any color, thinly sliced into long strips
- 6 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 zucchini, sliced and halved
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 head of romaine lettuce, shredded
Garnish Ideas for Serving
- 1 avocado, sliced, or sub storebought or homemade guacamole
- 2 tbsp salsa, fresh or jarred
- 1/8 cup black olives
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- tortilla chips, for serving, optional
- 1 lime, cut into wedges, to serve
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tsp taco seasoning, or a dash of cumin, garlic powder, and chili powder
- Chop your veggies into fajita-style strips.
- In a wide skillet, heat a small splash of cooking oil over medium-high heat and add the veggie strips and a pinch of salt and pepper. Allow them to blacken a little bit, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes. I like to sprinkle a little bit of cumin, chili powder, or taco seasoning on them, but don’t go overboard.
- While the veggies are cooking, prepare the rest of the components and put them into individual bowls for serving.
- Rinse and drain the beans. (I usually don’t bother to heat or season them, but you can if you wish)
- Chop the remaining garnishes.
- Set out bowls or containers with serving spoons if doing a burrito bowl bar.