Many people are intimidated by the strange bulb shape and sharp, licorice-like flavor of fennel. It’s easy to overthink fennel, but it really works best in simple salads, tossed with a light lemony dressing and something sweet (I’ve used apples here). With some nuts for a lovely bit of crunch.
How to Slice a Fennel Bulb
- 1 apple thinly sliced
- 1 fennel bulb thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup walnuts 1 oz
- Use a knife or mandolin to thinly slice the apple and the fennel. The thinner the better for soaking up the yummy dressing!
- Combine the vinaigrette ingredients in a mason jar and emulsify the dressing by shaking it or pulsing in a blender cup.
- For extra flavorful and crunchy walnuts, toast them on a parchment lined baking sheet at 350°F, tossed with a light spray of oil and salt, for 7-10 minutes or until browned and fragrant. Let cool.
- Toss your salad together and enjoy!
*Affiliate Link Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I earn a small commission on sales made from my links at no extra cost to you. The products I recommend in my posts are only brands that I can personally recommend and use myself.