Many people are intimidated by the strange bulb shape and sharp, licorice-like flavor of fennel. It’s easy to overthink fennel, but it really works best in simple salads, tossed with a light lemony dressing and something sweet (I’ve used apples here). With some nuts for a lovely bit of crunch.
How to Slice a Fennel Bulb
If you make this delicious salad, leave a star rating or comment below! Your feedback is so helpful to me and other readers. You can also tag me in your meal pics on Instagram @katiesconsciouskitchen, or join my free private facebook group to share your creations and inspire others! I love to see what you all are making.
- 1 apple, thinly sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup walnuts, 1 oz
- Use a knife or mandolin to thinly slice the apple and the fennel. The thinner the better for soaking up the yummy dressing!
- Combine the vinaigrette ingredients in a mason jar and emulsify the dressing by shaking it or pulsing in a blender cup.
- For extra flavorful and crunchy walnuts, toast them on a parchment lined baking sheet at 350°F, tossed with a light spray of oil and salt, for 7-10 minutes or until browned and fragrant. Let cool.
- Toss your salad together and enjoy!