I LOVE when citrus fruits come into season. They are such a bright spot in the dark dreary wintertime! This simple, raw, and flavor-packed salad is quick and easy to make. The fennel pairs perfectly with creamy avocado, the satisfying pop of fresh pomegranate seeds, and a splash of vinegar for a satisfying tang. I hope you love this deliciously fresh fennel and orange winter salad!
What Does Fennel Taste Like?
Fennel’s crunchy texture is reminiscent of celery or raw cabbage, but it has a very unique flavor that is often described like licorice or anise.
How to Chop Fennel & Oranges
Not sure how to chop a fennel bulb? Wondering how to cut oranges into pretty slices without causing a juicy mess? Keep scrolling to the bottom for a visual demonstration for how to chop a fennel bulb and how to use a serrated knife to cut oranges neatly for salads.
Yummy Additions to this Salad
Anything crunchy or fatty makes a delicious addition to this orange and fennel salad! Crunchy veggies like cucumber, celery, or lentil sprouts are excellent in this situation if you have them on hand, and so is a sprinkle of nuts or seeds.
How to Easily Remove Pomegranate Seeds
Check out the tutorial below for how to easily get pomegranate seeds out of a whole fruit.
More Delicious Salads You’ll Love
- Rainbow Crunch Strawberry Kale Salad
- Fennel, Apple & Walnut Salad
- Mandarin & Almond Salad w/ Ginger Sesame Dressing
- Strawberry Spinach Salad
- Cabbage & Citrus Salad w/ Miso Tahini Dressing
- Peach, Blueberry, & Avocado Salad
- Fennel Peach Salad
- Cherry Almond & Mint Quinoa Salad
If you make this fresh and flavorful fennel and orange winter salad, leave a star rating or comment below! Your feedback is so helpful to me and other readers. You can also tag me in your meal pics on Instagram @katiesconsciouskitchen, or join my free private facebook group to share your creations and inspire others! I love to see what you all are making.
Fennel & Orange Winter Salad
- 1 large fennel bulb, thinly sliced with a knife or mandoline
- 2 medium oranges, sliced
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 cups fresh arugula, optional
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar, or try rice vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Trim the fennel bulb and thinly slice using a knife or mandoline.
- Add the sliced fennel to a serving bowl and toss with the olive oil, vinegar, and a pinch of salt. Let it sit for a few minutes to soak up the flavors and soften while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- Slice the oranges using a serrated knife, then gently work your way around the orange to slice off the rind.
- Toss the fennel with arugula (if using) and arrange the oranges and avocado slices decoratively on top of the bed of fennel.
- Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and a few grinds of pepper.