This fresh corn polenta is so flavorful and nothing like polenta made from dried cornmeal. It’s basically just mashed corn, but when the corn is in season it is absolutely dreamy. The texture is smooth, sweet, and soothing, like a chunky, savory porridge. Try it also as a savory breakfast option!
- 4 ears fresh summer corn
- 8 oz vegan ricotta or feta cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Shuck the corn and use a large knife to shave the kernels off the raw cobs. Place the kernels in a medium saucepan and cover with 1½ cups of water.
- Cook for 12 minutes on a simmer. Use a slotted spoon to sieve the kernels and place them into a food processor. Don’t throw out the cooking liquid.
- Process for several minutes, breaking up as much of the kernels as possible. Add a little cooking liquid if the mixture becomes too dry.
- Return the corn paste to the pan with the cooking liquid and cook, stirring, on low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, until thickened to a mashed potato consistency.
- Fold in the cheese and season with salt and pepper.
I love this polenta with Delicious Melty Eggplant, Stewed Eggplant in Tomato Sauce (Instant Pot), Giant Beans in Tomato Sauce, with any of the toppings in this recipe for Savory Steel Cut Oats, or in this Cheesy Breakfast Polenta.