Lately I’ve been looking for ways to get some stand-alone veggies into my meals. This 10-minute spinach and mushroom side has been my new thing. It’s barely even a recipe, but I thought I’d share it as a defender of the deliciousness of simple veggie preparations.
- handful of mushrooms, sliced
- several large handfuls of spinach, or other dark greens such as kale or chard
- 1 Tbsp olive oil or butter
Condiments & Spices
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper
- In a cast iron skillet, sauté the mushrooms in a Tbsp of water for 5 minutes until they have released and evaporated most of their moisture.
- When they start to stick to the pan, add the oil and sauté them until browned, 4-6 minutes.
- Add the garlic. Stir for a minute or two until fragrant.
- Add the spinach and stir for 30 seconds until wilted. Turn off the heat. The residual heat from the pan is enough to wilt and cook the spinach. Any longer and it will overcook and lose it’s vibrant green color.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.