This is one of my very favorite things to do with my Instant Pot. The oil makes a rich tomato sauce, and these huge beans are buttery and delicious. You could also make this in a crockpot or slow cooker and simmer everything until the beans are fully cooked, but be sure to pre-soak them as directed. This would also work on the stovetop, although it would take a long time and require a lot of babysitting.
You could use any big white bean for this recipe. The ones I like are called corona beans, and I find them in the dry bulk section of my city’s natural foods market. A related variety often used in greek cuisine are gigantes beans. They can also be found online here.
Looking for more Instant Pot recipes? Check out my Instant Pot Cookbook!
- 9.5 oz dry corona beans or gigantes beans pre-soaked 8-10 hrs
- 1/2 eggplant medium, diced
- 1/2 onion large, diced
- 1 (14.5 oz can) diced tomatoes including liquid
- 4 Tbsp olive oil (2 oz)
Condiments & Spices
- 8 oz marinara sauce
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp vegetable bouillon optional
- A large pinch of black pepper
- 1/2 tsp good quality sea salt
- Pre-soak your beans for 8-10 hours, or use the Instant Pot “Quick Soak” method.
- Rinse and drain the beans, and return to the pot.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the inner pot, except the salt.
- Place the inner pot in the Instant Pot and close the pot lid to Sealing.
- Set to Manual (high pressure) for 25 minutes. Let the pressure naturally release.
- If the beans aren’t fully cooked or there is too much liquid, put the lid back on and set the cook time for 2-3 minutes. Repeat if needed.
- Stir in salt, and remove the bay leaves.
- This recipe requires pre-soaking the beans. If you use canned beans, reduce the pressure cooking time to 3 minutes and simmer afterwards to thicken if needed.
- This could also be made in a crockpot or slow cooker. Simmer everything until the beans are fully cooked, but be sure to pre-soak them as directed.
*Affiliate Link Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I earn a small commission on sales made from my links at no extra cost to you. The products I recommend in my posts are only brands that I can personally recommend and use myself.