This ultimate fall salad combines sweet, crisp, in-season apples with the slight bitterness of warm kale. The sweet caramelized shallots, smoky tempeh, crunchy pepitas, aromatic thyme and cinnamon bring it all together. Enjoy!
- A handful or two of kale shredded
- 1 shallot thinly sliced
- 1 apple diced (save a few slices for decoration)
- 1/3 cup 2 oz tempeh, pre-marinated in a smoky marinade
- 1/4 cup 1 oz pumpkin seeds, pecans, or walnuts
- 1 Tbsp 0.5 oz olive oil, divided
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- A few fresh thyme leaves to garnish
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and add the shallots, tempeh, pumpkin seeds, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the shallots are caramelized, the tempeh is browned, and the nuts or seeds are toasted, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the kale and diced apples into the skillet with a pinch of cinnamon. Stir well and cook for 2-3 minutes, until the kale is wilted and apples are warm but still crisp.
- Remove from heat, toss with apple cider vinegar and more salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with reserved sliced apples, thyme, and another dash of cinnamon.
- Check out my favorite smoky tempeh marinade here
*Affiliate Link Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I earn a small commission on sales made from my links at no extra cost to you. The products I recommend in my posts are only brands that I can personally recommend and use myself.