This romaine and kale caesar salad seriously hits the spot. It happens to be vegan and oil-free, and takes less than 5 minutes to throw together too!
I usually use this recipe for my vegan caesar dressing (which is delicious too and uses hummus as a base) but this
For the greens, I couldn’t decided between romaine and kale, so I used both. I have a friend who calls romaine “crunchy water” and I love it for that reason! But I love kale too, especially massaged and softened with a little bit of olive oil and lemon juice.
To finish it off, I threw in some storebought crunchy chickpeas (these are NOT the same as dried chickpeas, don’t break your teeth!!) which have a crouton-y character. I also added some diced avocado to boost this salad’s filling-factor to fuel my afternoon at work.
This Vegan Kale Caesar Salad Is:
- Undetectably plant-based
- Oil Free
- Super creamy
- Made in less than 5 minutes
- Filling enough to be a main dish
If you make this vegan kale caesar salad, let me know! Leave a comment below, rate it, or tag me in your meal pics on Instagram @katiesconsciouskitchen. Or, join my free private facebook group to share your creations and inspire others!
I hope you love this dressing and salad!
Vegan Caesar w/ Chickpea Croutons
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced, or substitute 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard, adjust to taste
- pinch of sea salt, to taste
- water, to thin
- 1 handful romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 handful kale, chopped
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- 1 handful crunchy chickpeas, the snack variety, storebought, or use regular chickpeas
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- any other salad veggies of choice, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, radishes, etc.
- Stir the dressing ingredients together in a cup with a fork. Adjust the ingredients to taste and desired consistency.
- Start building your salad with the kale first. Drizzle a little olive oil and lemon juice on it and massage it with your hands for 30 seconds or so, until softened. This helps remove the bitterness and infuses it with yumminess.
- Add the remaining ingredients and toss well with some of the dressing.