Here’s a bright, hearty, super nutritious pancake to use up your leftover quinoa, and fuel a good weekend. The lemon and almond extract give these a sweet character, despite no added sweeteners.
I’ve tested flax eggs and chia eggs in this recipe, and found that real eggs are necessary for good texture and binding.
- 1/2 cup 4 oz leftover cooked quinoa
- 1 package instant oats 1 oz
- 1/4 cup quinoa flakes (not dry quinoa!) 1 oz
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt (I use non-dairy almond milk or soy yogurt) 2 oz
- Nuts or nut butter
- Berry Compote see notes
- Chia jam see notes
- If not using leftover pre-cooked quinoa, add 1/4 cup of dry quinoa to a saucepan with 1/2 cup of water. Simmer, covered, on low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Rinse the just-cooked quinoa in cold water to cool and toss in a mesh strainer to remove excess water and fluff the grains. Make sure the quinoa is fluffy and not soggy and wet.
- Mix the grains, baking powder, and baking soda together in a medium bowl.
- Mix the egg, yogurt, and flavorings together in a small bowl along with 1 Tbsp of water.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients.
- Heat a nonstick skillet or griddle over low heat. It’s important to cook these slowly or they won’t be fully cooked inside.
- Cook for about 5 minutes on the first side and 3 on the other side. I usually get about 4 medium-sized pancakes with this recipe.
- Add desired toppings.
- Recipe for Chia Jam
- Recipe for Balsamic Berry Compote
- To make this breakfast gluten-free, be sure to use certified gluten-free oats and quinoa. Both are naturally gluten-free grains, but they are often processed with products containing gluten and this contamination can be enough to trigger an immune response in those with high gluten sensitivity or celiac disease.
*Affiliate Link Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I earn a small commission on sales made from my links at no extra cost to you. The products I recommend in my posts are only brands that I can personally recommend and use myself.