Got leftover lentils? Throw them into this yummy and hearty red sauce! This lentil mushroom bolognese is easy, vegan, and nutrition packed. It’s perfect for batch cooking on the weekend and enjoying all week. Serve it over your pasta of choice, spiralized veggies, or spaghetti squash.
This Lentil Mushroom Bolognese Is:
- Protein packed
- Easy to make
- Great for batch cooking
- Perfect for using up leftover lentils
- Freezer friendly
- Loaded with veg
- Super flavorful
If you liked this recipe, try these!
- Pesto Lasagna (Without Noodles!)
- Vegan Lemon Artichoke Pesto Pasta
- Giant Beans in Tomato Sauce
- Eggplant & Butter Bean Stew
If you make this recipe, leave a star rating or comment below! Your feedback is so helpful to me and other readers. You can also tag me in your meal pics on Instagram @katiesconsciouskitchen to share your creations and inspire others! I love to see what you all are making.
Lentil Mushroom Bolognese
- 1 cup cooked lentils, brown, green, or black
- 1/2 lb mushrooms, crimini or button
- 1/2 yellow onion, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning, more to taste
- 1 jar tomato sauce, 24 oz
- Mince the mushrooms and the onions roughly (no need to get too precise about it).
- In a heavy bottomed soup pot or cast iron skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions and mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and Italian seasoning and stir for a minute or two, until fragrant.
- Add the lentils and the sauce and season to taste, bring to a simmer, and cook for a few minutes to heat through and meld the flavors.
- Serve over your pasta of choice and salt and pepper to taste.