Mashed cauliflower is a great alternative to mashed potatoes, because you get to count it as a vegetable! 🙂 Note that blending food can be an issue for some folks in our community. As always, know yourself and your own susceptibility. This was a 20 minute meal from start to finish and was super filling. Perfect for a weeknight.
Mashed Cauliflower w/ Sausage & Greens
Each Serving Contains:
- 14 oz Veggies (or adjust to desired veggie weight)
- 1 Protein Serving
- 1 Fat Serving
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 bunch kale, or kale sprouts (my favorite!)
- 2 field roast sausages, sliced (2 proteins)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil (1 fat)
- 1 oz cream cheese (I use vegan Kite Hill chive cream cheese) (1 fat)
Condiments & Spices
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pinch of garlic powder or a clove of minced garlic
- Fresh chives, chopped (optional)
- Grain Additions: Use mashed potatoes instead of cauliflower, and make additional roasted vegetables as a side.
- Place the cauliflower florets in a steamer basket over about cup of water in a large pot. Steam cauliflower over medium heat, covered, for about 10 minutes or until very tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, sauté the sausages for a few minutes until browned. Remove from the pan.
- Weigh the cooked cauliflower and divide that amount by two, because it will make two servings. Each contains half a fat and veggies. Note this weight.
- Use the kale to round out your veggie serving to reach your desired veggie amount. In the same skillet used to cook the sausage, sauté the kale for a few minutes until wilted and warmed.
- In a food processor, process the cauliflower along with the cream cheese, garlic, and a dash of salt and pepper. Add water 1 TBSP at a time to make it creamier, if desired.
- Divide the sausage and mashed cauliflower into two equal portions.
Recipe Source: Katie’s Bright Kitchen