This is the only gravy recipe you’ll ever need. It is the absolute best. We make this vegan mushroom gravy every year for Thanksgiving, and I often hear comments that ours is preferred over the turkey gravy. Every time this happens, my vegan heart swells with pride.
I like to make a combo cauliflower and potato mash. I love mashed potatoes but they can feel a bit heavy. Cauliflower mash is lovely and light, but it is kind of lacking in flavor. This is the best of both worlds. I steam 4 oz each of cauliflower and potatoes in the same steamer basket until soft, and then I purée them with a splash of plant milk, garlic, and seasonings. Then I pour this vegan mushroom gravy allllll over it. YUM.
- 2 cups crimini mushrooms, diced 6 oz
- 1 cup onion, diced 6 oz
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp dried rosemary
- 1 Tbsp dried thyme
- 1 ¾ cups vegetable broth
- ¼ cup red wine optional, sub vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce or tamari (gf)
- 1 ½ Tbsp arrowroot powder or cornstarch
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onions, mushrooms, and garlic, cook for about 10 min, or until well browned.
- Stir in the herbs and a large pinch of salt and pepper.
- If using wine, add it, stir for a minute, and then add the broth.
- Stir the arrowroot powder, soy sauce, and nutritional yeast together in a small bowl to make a paste.
- Stir into the pan, and simmer for a few minutes to thicken.