This breakfast provides a welcome splash of color and brightness during the colder, darker months. The pop of pomegranate seeds and winter citrus is so sweet and juicy! I love cooked buckwheat for this, but feel free to swap the porridge for other breakfast grains.
- 1/4 cup dry buckwheat 1 oz
- 1 cup plant-based milk 8 oz
- Hemp seeds to garnish
- 1 orange peeled and chopped
- Handful of pomegranate seeds
- Zest of about half of the orange
- Dash of cinnamon
- Splash of vanilla
- Pinch of cardamom
- Small pinch of salt
- Buckwheat can be cooked the same way as oatmeal or any other grain. I like my porridge on the soupy side, so I cook my buckwheat until it’s slightly undercooked in water and then simmer a few more minutes with the milk and spices.
- Cook a batch of buckwheat using a 1:2 ratio of buckwheat to water. Simmer, uncovered, until the grains are soft.
- Portion out a single serving of cooked buckwheat and add in the milk and spices. Simmer for a few more minutes, to heat and meld the flavors. Top with the fruit and sprinkle with hemp seeds.
*Affiliate Link Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I earn a small commission on sales made from my links at no extra cost to you. The products I recommend in my posts are only brands that I can personally recommend and use myself.