This is a light and lovely warm dessert for a group, or a summer’s date night. Easy and quick to make, the aromatic spices and bright orange juice lend sweetness to the already delicious pears.
If you want to get really fancy, eat these with a dollop of whipped cream or ice cream, and a sprinkling of nuts.
- 1 ripe pear
- 1 large navel orange juiced and zested
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 allspice berries
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 Tbsp red wine optional
- Dash of nutmeg
- Zest and juice the orange and peel the pears with a vegetable peeler. Cut the pear in half or into quarters and discard the core.
- Place the orange juice and whole spices into a lidded saucepan wide enough to fit both pear halves face down.
- Place the pears in the sauce and simmer with the lid on, over low heat, for 10-12 minutes, until the pears are soft.
- Scoop out pears with a flat spatula or spoon (be careful, they will be soft and delicate!) and place in individual shallow serving dishes.
- Simmer the orange juice a few minutes longer, to reduce.
- Remove the spices and pour the orange sauce over the pears.
- Sprinkle the orange zest over the pears, along with a dash of cinnamon and freshly grated (or ground) nutmeg.
- Serve warm.
*Affiliate Link Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I earn a small commission on sales made from my links at no extra cost to you. The products I recommend in my posts are only brands that I can personally recommend and use myself.