These flavors are just magic together, and for me, stir up some childhood nostalgia for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. This is a sugar free take on this classic flavor combo.
Having been living around the world during the past year, I’ve come to have a new appreciation for peanut butter. Living in Japan, peanut butter was nearly impossible to find, except for Skippy’s which I personally find to be way too sweet and smooth. In many parts of Europe where I am now, people often make fun of the combination of peanut butter and jelly as a weird American thing. I’ve come to take new culture pride in this (maybe strange) combination of nut butter and fruit and and now revere it as maybe one of the best things that’s come out of my country. 🙂
This minimally processed “jam” is made from two ingredients, fruit and chia seeds, and is cooked down just a little bit in order to hydrate the chia seeds, soften the fruit a little, and bring out the natural sweetness.
I love mixing up overnight oats before bed knowing that this delicious treat will be waiting for me when I wake up!
- 4 oz fresh or frozen berries
- 1/2 tsp chia seeds
- 2 Tbsp peanut butter 1 oz
- 2 oz fresh berries
- The night before, mix the oats, chia seeds, milk or yogurt, and seasonings in a single serving glass or jar. You may need to experiment with the ratios of milk and yogurt to get the consistency you like.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- In a small saucepan, simmer the 4 oz of fruit with the 1/2 tsp chia seeds and 1 Tbsp of water for 5 minutes, stirring well, until it is the consistency of loose jam.
- Transfer to a small bowl and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, layer your oats, jam, and peanut butter, with the fresh fruit on top. You could layer everything the night before too, but it will mix together more. If you care about the presentation and the layers being more visually distinct, this layers best after refrigeration.
- Don’t cook the “jam” so much that it disintegrates completely, just enough to hydrate the chia seeds, soften the fruit a little, and bring out the natural sweetness.
*Affiliate Link Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I earn a small commission on sales made from my links at no extra cost to you. The products I recommend in my posts are only brands that I can personally recommend and use myself.