I saw green beans at my local farmstand the other day and got so excited, because I remembered about doing this with them. So quick and tasty.
This recipe is portioned for one, because I tend to make this meal just for myself on nights when I’m doing my own thing for dinner. You could certainly scale it up to feed more people.
I like to throw in tofu, if it’s around, but you could use any protein of choice. Tofu used to intimidate me until I discovered my favorite way of preparing it: I just take it right out of the package, dice it, and bake the cubes on parchment paper at 400 degrees for 15 minutes to remove some moisture and get a golden brown crust, and then I toss it in the pan with whatever I’m making. No need to press it!
- 6 oz green beans trimmed
- 2 Tbsp peanut butter 1 oz
- 4 oz raw tofu* unpressed and cubed reduces to about 2 oz after baking
- 1 Tbsp dark toasted sesame oil 0.5 oz
Condiments & Spices
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce or tamari for gf
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar 0.5 oz
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger grated
- 1/2 tsp chili sauce or chili garlic sauce or more to taste
- sesame seeds, to garnish optional
- If using tofu, preheat the oven to 350 °F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Drain and cube the tofu (no need to press it) and spread it out on the parchment paper. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown around the edges.
- Meanwhile, trim the ends off the green beans and chop into bite-sized pieces.
- Stir all of the sauce ingredients together with the peanut butter in a small cup or dish, using a fork.
- Place the green beans in a non-stick skillet with a tablespoon of water and cover with a lid. Steam, over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, until they are darkened in color but still have little bit of crunch.
- Add the baked tofu or peanuts, sauce, and sesame oil to the pan and toss or stir to combine. Stir for a minute or two, until warmed and well coated. The goal is just to combine and warm everything, nothing really needs to cook.
- Transfer to a plate, sprinkle with sesame seeds, and serve immediately.