You may already know about my obsession with peanut sauce, but wait until you try these marinated peanut tofu skewers! They are the perfect pairing. If you’ve got the grill fired up, these skewers are great for a barbecue, but they also work great on a grill pan on the stove.
For These Peanut Tofu Skewers You’ll Need:
- a blender to get a smooth and creamy sauce
- chili garlic sauce
- rice vinegar
- soy sauce
- coconut milk
- peanut butter
- fresh garlic
- fresh ginger
- extra firm tofu
More Tofu Recipes You’ll Love:
- Summer Tofu Scramble w/ Roasted Potatoes
- Easy Sesame Ginger Tofu Stir Fry
- 15 Minute Tofu Fried Rice
- Spring Roll Bowl
Ways to Use Your Delicious Leftover Peanut Sauce
If you make this recipe, leave a star rating or comment below! Your feedback is so helpful to me and other readers. You can also tag me in your meal pics on Instagram @katiesconsciouskitchen to share your creations and inspire others! I love to see what you all are making.
Peanut Tofu Skewers
- 2 blocks extra firm tofu, or firm tofu
- 1 tbsp sesame oil, canola oil works fine too, but it’s less flavorful
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup soy sauce, or tamari if gluten free
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger, or ginger paste or jarred ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed, or garlic paste or jarred garlic
- 1 tbsp honey, or other sweetener of choice, optional
- 1 tsp sesame seeds, to garnish
- 2 tbsp green onions, sliced, optional
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped, optional
The Morning Before
- Drain the tofu block and wrap it in a clean kitchen towel or paper towel. Place the wrapped tofu on a flat plate or cutting board and place a flat surface over the top (large plate, platter, cutting board) with 2 or 3 cans on top of it to gently press the water out. Let sit at least 15 minutes, up to an hour.
- Mix the marinade ingredients in a small lidded container. Cut the tofu into 1.5 inch cubes or blocks and place in the marinade. Swish around to coat and refrigerate for at least an hour, or at most a few days.
- Heat a griddle pan on medium high heat with a little oil. Place the tofu in and cook for a few minutes on each side until charred.
- Pour over any remaining marinade over the top before flipping. Depending how big your pan is you may need to do it in two batches.
- Sprinkle with some fresh coriander, chopped peanuts and peanut sauce!
Grilling the Skewers
- Place the cubes on bamboo skewers, 3 or 4 per skewer, through the center of the cubes so they don’t fall off.
- Head a nonstick grill pan over medium heat and brush the sesame oil into the grooves. (Or use a regular nonstick pan but you won’t get the pretty grill marks)
- (Tip: Add the remainder of the tofu marinade to the peanut sauce to avoid wasting it!)
- Carefully place the skewers on the hot oiled pan and allow to sizzle for 5-7 minutes before flipping. If the pan starts to smoke, it’s too hot. If they aren’t sizzling, it’s not hot enough.
- Rotate onto all sides, giving each side 4-5 minutes, until grilled to your liking.
- Add the sauce ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Drizzle the peanut sauce over the skewers and garnish with sesame seeds, green onions, and cilantro.