These days there are several decent brands of vegan and dairy free ranch, but I find them all to be really expensive, and they don’t taste as good as when I make it myself. Don’t be deterred by the long list of ingredients, it mostly consists of spices and herbs that can be combined ahead in a dry ranch mix, so that mixing up the dressing is just a matter of stirring 4 ingredients together in a cup with a fork.
Choosing Vegan Ingredients
Homemade ranch usually involves mayonnaise and milk, so it’s easy to make a vegan version by swapping the dairy versions for dairy free versions. There are lots of good brands of vegan mayo, I don’t really have a favorite. I use and like them all. For milk, I go with soymilk or almond milk, or whatever I have on hand. Any flavor the milk has gets overpowered by the seasonings, so it’s really just contributing creaminess and thinning out the mayo.
Making a Dry Ranch Mix
The key to homemade ranch dressing is making a jar of dry ranch mix to store in the pantry. Then you can just quickly mix up single servings of ranch at mealtime with a fork and a cup. Be sure to store your ranch mix in an airtight container, because the onion powder when exposed to air can turn into a weird dry onion cake. I’ve learned that one the hard way.
Ways to Use Your Homemade Vegan Ranch Dressing
- As a veggie dip (carrots, peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, etc.)
- On chopped salads
- As a dip for potato wedges or fries (yum)
- In this BBQ Ranch Bowl
Watch How to Make This Vegan Ranch Dressing
More Delicious Vegan Sauce & Dressing Recipes
- 2-Minute Tahini Sauce to Put on Everything
- Sriracha Lime Mayo Dressing
- A General Formula for Salad Dressing
- Avocado Ranch Dressing
- Creamy Cashew Sauce
- Easy Peanut Sauce
If you make this vegan ranch dressing, leave a star rating or comment below! Your feedback is so helpful to me and other readers. You can also tag me in your meal pics on Instagram @katiesconsciouskitchen, or join my free private facebook group to share your creations and inspire others! I love to see what you all are making.
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo, 2 oz
- 1 tbsp plant based milk, 1 oz
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice, or white vinegar
- 1 tbsp dry ranch mix, see below
Dry Ranch Mix (Makes About 1/4 Cup)
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tbsp dried chives
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 1 tsp ground black pepper, preferably fresh ground
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- Mix all ingredients in a small jar or bottle with a fork.
- Add milk (or water) to desired consistency.
- This dressing keeps well in the fridge for however long mayo and milk keep in the fridge.