These portobello steaks are a summer favorite in our household, which we originally discovered in the plant-based cookbook Veganomicon. Whenever we fire up a grill, we usually make these meaty mushrooms and put them on salads or sandwiches. Baking them works great too, when we don’t feel like grilling.
Salad Veggies (Choose Any)
- Salad greens
- Cherry tomatoes, halved
- Cucumber, chopped
- Red onion, thinly sliced
- Avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp mustard
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp honey or maple syrup, optional
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a ziplock bag with the mushrooms and gently swish the marinade around the mushrooms. Marinate in the bag for at least 20 minutes, and up to 4 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F, or heat up the grill.
- Grill the mushroom over direct heat on a grill, or bake on parchment paper for 20-25 minutes, flipping partway through.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a small bowl with a fork. I like to mix dressing in a small jar with a lid so it can be shaken and emulsified. Toss the salad with the veggies.
- When the mushrooms are done, let cool for a few minutes and slice into thick meaty slices. Lay them on top of the salad.
- To complete this meal, serve alongside your favorite stand-alone protein, or add chickpeas to the salad.