Well, it’s that pumpkin-spiced time of year again! I always find it funny that pumpkin is so strongly associated with fall, when most people (including myself) tend to just use canned pumpkin when the real thing is in season. That said, I love pumpkin season as much as the next guy, and these wholesome, flourless pumpkin oat muffins are just the thing to kick off fall. Is there anything better than heavenly fall spices wafting through your kitchen?
Just like their banana oat cousin, these tasty treats are perfect for traveling or making ahead to grab and go on a busy morning. This recipe makes one breakfast, but if you want to scale up the recipe and batch cook these, they keep well in the fridge or freezer and can be microwaved for a few seconds to warm them up. Enjoy!
Tips for Success
- Be sure to use instant oats or quick oats instead of rolled oats. They have much better absorbency for flourless baked goods, and are essential for a non-gooey texture. You can use the single-serving packaged kind or the kinds that comes in a container or in bulk.
- I blitz a handful of rolled oats in a blender every week or so to make some oat flour, and add a little bit to these muffins to help with the binding and texture. If you are strictly not eating any flour, 1 extra tbsp of instant oats will work just fine.
- Let these cool completely before breaking into them, otherwise they will be gooey. If they are still coming out gooey, experiment with the cook time. They should be moist and soft inside but not gooey.
- Use non-stick silicone muffin liners so that these pop right out!
- These muffins are great for customizing with your favorite add-ins! Try adding in dried cranberries, pumpkin seeds, walnuts, berries, cacao nibs, or dark chocolate chips if you’re in the mood for dessert for breakfast 🙂
- To make these muffins gluten free, be sure to use certified gluten-free oats.
- Try adding in other grains for texture or an extra nutrition boost, such as a couple spoonfuls of cooked quinoa or millet (drained well and not soggy)
- If flour isn’t an issue for you, feel free to add in 1-2 tbsp of your flour of choice for a drier, cakier muffin.
- If sweeteners aren’t an issue for you, sweeten these up a bit with a squeeze of your liquid sweetener of choice, or some sweet add-ins.
More Fall-Inspired Sugar & Flour Free Treats:
- Quinoa Breakfast Cookies
- Fruit & Nut Breakfast Bars
- Pumpkin Spiced Breakfast Cookies
- Apple Carrot Breakfast Bread
- Flourless Sweet Potato Brownies
- Carrot Cake Oatmeal Bars
- Banana Walnut Oat Muffins
- Pumpkin Pecan Oat Bars
If you make these yummy flourless pumpkin oat muffins leave a star rating or comment below! Your feedback is so helpful to me and other readers. You can also tag me in your meal pics on Instagram @katiesconsciouskitchen, or join my free private facebook group to share your creations and inspire others! I love to see what you all are making.
Pumpkin Oat Muffins
- 1/4 cup instant oats, 1 oz
Fruit & Veggies
- 1/3 cup unsweetened pumpkin puree, 3 oz
- 1 banana, mashed, 3 oz
- 2 tbsp almond butter, 1 oz
- 2 tbsp pecans, 1 oz
Baking & Spices
- 1 tsp arrowroot powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice, see notes for DIY version
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease muffin tins or use muffin liners.
- Mash the banana, pumpkin, and almond butter well in a mixing bowl with a fork or potato masher.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Save a few pecans for decoration, and crumble the rest up in the muffins.
- Scoop the batter into muffin tins, filling them all the way. This recipe makes 4 smaller muffins or 3 larger muffins. Decorate with a big pecan on top, if desired.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until they have firmed up. Turn off the oven and let cool in the warm oven.
- Cool completely before eating, otherwise they will be gooey!
- DIY Pumpkin Pie Spice:
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger