Have you ever tried quinoa for breakfast? It’s a great way to use up leftover quinoa and it’s yummy warm or cold. It’s somewhere between a cereal and porridge. The key to good breakfast quinoa is to use flavorful milk and toppings, because the quinoa itself is pretty much a blank slate in terms of adding flavor, just like any breakfast grain. I love using coconut milk, but any plant-based milk is tasty!
For an extra special twist and nutritional boost, try sprouting your quinoa the night before.
- 3/4 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup plant-based milk of choice
- fruit compote or jam swirled in
- fresh fruit
- nut butter
- nuts and seeds of choice
- dried berries, goji berries are pictured
- sprinkle of hemp seeds
- Splash of vanilla extract
- pinch of cardamom
- dash of cinnamon or sweet spice mix (such as apple pie or pumpkin pie spice)
- Place your cooked quinoa in a bowl and pour in the milk. Easy! Add in desired flavorings such as vanilla, cinnamon, or apple or pumpkin pie spice. Eat cold, or heat up for 30 seconds in the microwave.
- Top with desired toppings and enjoy!
- For instructions on how to perfectly cook a pot of quinoa, click here.
- To make this breakfast gluten-free, be sure to use certified gluten-free quinoa. Quinoa is a naturally gluten-free grain, but it is often processed with products containing gluten and this contamination can be enough to trigger an immune response in those with high gluten sensitivity or celiac disease.