Spaghetti Squash & Marinara
Each Serving Contains:
- 1 Veggie Serving (adjust quantity to your individual food plan)
- 1 Protein Serving
- 1 Fat Serving
- Mushrooms & onions, sliced
- Cooked spaghetti squash
- Marinara sauce to reach veggie amount (plus 2 ounces for condiment allowance)
- 4 oz veggie sausage (I like Tofurkey or Field Roast)
- 0.5 oz olive oil
Condiments & Spices
- Italian herbs
- Nutritional yeast (optional)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Grain Additions: Add 4 oz cooked polenta or quinoa.
- Protein Additions: Add pine nuts or plant-based cheese.
- Fat Additions: Increase amount of oil, or add pine nuts.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Cut the spaghetti squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Brush or spray it lightly with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake face down on parchment paper for 25-30 minutes, or until soft and shreddable with a fork.
Meanwhile, sauté the veggies and veggie sausage together in the oil until browned.
Remove and weigh the veggies and sausage mixture, subtracting the weight of the sausage (it doesn’t reduce at all when cooked) and 0.5 oz for the oil. This is your veggie amount so far.
Shred and fluff the spaghetti squash with two forks.
Add spaghetti squash and marinara sauce to your meal to reach your desired veggie amount, adding 2 oz for your marinara condiment allowance.
Garnish with salt, pepper, dried or fresh Italian herbs, and nutritional yeast (optional)
Here is a variation with roasted zucchini. Yum!