Savory spices, Chipotle Lime Sauce, and a fried egg liven up these grain-free sweet potato waffles for a delicious breakfast feast!
To make this meal nightshade free, use sweet potatoes and replace the Chipotle Lime Sauce with some crumbled dairy or non-dairy cheese. I love to garnish this with avocado and cilantro.
Savory Hashbrown Waffles w/ Chipotle Lime Sauce
- 1 cup grated raw sweet potato, packed, 8 oz
- 1 egg, for batter
- 2 fried or poached eggs, for topping
Chipotle Lime Sauce
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Green onions, chives, or fresh cilantro, chopped
- Avocado, optional
Make the Waffles
- Grate the sweet potato. I don't bother to peel them. If using regular potatoes, rinse in cold water and squeeze out excess water.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg and stir in the grated potato and seasonings.
- Spray a waffle iron with cooking spray. Scoop half of the hashbrown batter into the center and spread it out to the edges.
- Be patient! Avoid opening the waffle iron too early or it will stick. Cook until browned, between 10-15 minutes. Make a second waffle.
Make the Sauce
- Meanwhile, make the Chipotle Lime Sauce by blending all ingredients in a small blender cup, or in a small jar with an immersion blender. Add water or milk to reach desired consistency.
Fry the Eggs
- Heat a dab of oil on a nonstick skillet over medium low heat. Carefully crack the egg onto the pan – it should sizzle. Add a dash of salt and pepper. For sunny side up, cover with a lid for a minute or two until the yolk is cooked to your liking. For over easy, cook uncovered and flip after a minute or two and cook until the yolk is cooked to your liking.
Assemble the Bowls
- Prepare any additional toppings, and top the waffles with all the goodies!
- Feel free to swap regular potatoes for the sweet potato, but I recommend soaking the grated potatoes in a bowl of water for 20 minutes or so and squeezing the water out to remove as much starch and moisture as possible.