These umami-packed shiitake and edamame bowls are deliciously satisfying whether or not you’re eating a plant-based diet. This Asian-inspired vegan bowl is loaded with flavor and nutrition, with a creamy, delicate miso tahini sauce drizzled over the top to tie it all together. Enjoy!
These Shiitake Edamame Bowls Are…
- Quick and easy to make
- Super satisfying
Substitutions & Modifications
- Instead of shiitakes, feel free to use other seasonal mushrooms such as oyster mushrooms or maitakes. The cooking method will be the same.
- Feel free to add in other Asian vegetables of choice such as bok choy, daikon radish, Chinese eggplant, etc.
- Any type of miso can be used in the miso sauce, but if you use darker miso the color of the sauce will be darker and the flavor will be deeper. I prefer white miso for sauces because it has a sweeter and more delicate flavor.
- The mirin is optional, but it will make the dressing a bit sweeter and add yummy flavor. If you don’t have mirin, add a bit of your liquid sweetener of choice, or you can just leave it out.
- I recommend using toasted or dark sesame oil for roasting, as it lends a deep, smoky flavor. If you can’t find it, you can use lighter sesame oil or a neutral oil like canola oil.
Other Yummy Bowls You’ll Love
- Vegan BBQ Bowl w/ Ranch
- Cabbage & Cashew Bowl w/ Peanut Sauce
- Build-Your-Own Buddha Bowl
- Tempeh Reuben Bowl w/ Sauerkraut & Thousand Island
- Spring Roll Bowl
If you make this recipe, leave a star rating or comment below! Your feedback is so helpful to me and other readers. You can also tag me in your meal pics on Instagram @katiesconsciouskitchen to share your creations and inspire others! I love to see what you all are making.
Shiitake & Edamame Bowls w/ Miso Sauce
- 1 lb shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 green cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 bunches baby broccoli
- 4 carrots, sliced lengthwise
- radishes, optional, for garnish
- microgreens, optional, for garnish
- 1/2 Tbsp toasted sesame oil, 1/2 oz
- 12 oz frozen shelled edamame
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and place the carrot sticks on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Drizzle them with 1 tsp of sesame oil, toss on the pan to coat, and generously sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for about 15 minutes.
- Remove the carrot pan from the oven, scoot the carrots over, and add the sliced shiitakes and broccoli to the pan. Season with sesame oil, salt, and pepper and return them to the oven for 15 additional minutes.
- Place the shredded cabbage in a skillet with 1-2 Tbsp of water.
- Cover and steam over medium low heat (stirring occasionally) for 3-4 minutes until brightly colored and wilted.
- Transfer to bowls.
Prepare Fixings & Assemble Bowls
- Blend together the sauce ingredients in a small blender cup. Add water to thin.
- If using frozen edamame, thaw it by running hot water over it in a mesh strainer, then microwave, or boil.
- To assemble your bowls, start with the warm steamed cabbage, then pile on the roasted veggies and edamame.
- Drizzle with sauce, garnish, and enjoy!