After posting this spiced persimmon porridge on my instagram feed today, I noticed that all of my recent recipes have an orange and brown color scheme going on.
There’s a reason for that! Orange signals the presence of immune-boosting vitamins that our bodies need in the wintertime. Winter is a slow, cold, restful time when our bodies need a lot of sustenance and care. We gravitate toward heavier, nourishing foods like soups, grains, calorie-dense proteins, fats, and starches.
Enter creamy, warming, spiced persimmon and pistachio porridge!
Have you tried good, in-season, slightly soft, perfectly ripe persimmons? YUM. They are wonderful. But you’ve gotta get them at their peak. Otherwise they can be hard and flavorless. Now’s the perfect time to get them. They have a texture similar to a pear, and nothing in the middle to worry about. No need to peel them either, just slice them up! The pretty seed pattern inside is so fun too.
I’ve added warming, anti-inflammatory spices to this porridge too like ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg. The pistachios are lovely (and I love the colors) but feel free to use walnuts, pecans, or sliced almonds instead.
- 1/2 cup dry oats
- 1 cup plant-based milk of choice
- 1/2 cup water
- pinch of salt
- pinch of ground ginger about 1/8 tsp
- pinch of cinnamon about 1/4 tsp
- 2-3 grates of fresh nutmeg or a dash of pre-ground nutmeg
- 2 ripe winter persimmons
- 1/4 cup roasted pistachios
- dried cranberries optional
- sprinkle of hemp seeds optionsl
- In a small saucepan, combine 1/2 cup dry oats (or your porridge grain of choice) with 1 cup of plant-based milk and 1/2 cup of water.
- Add a tiny pinch of salt and simmer over low heat for 5-10 minutes, adding water or milk to your desired consistency.
*Affiliate Link Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I earn a small commission on sales made from my links at no extra cost to you. The products I recommend in my posts are only brands that I can personally recommend and use myself.
More Delicious Oatmeal Inspiration:
- How To Love Your Oats (For Oatmeal Haters)
- Pumpkin Spiced Oatmeal
- Cherry Pie Oatmeal
- Savory Steel Cut Oatmeal
- PB & J Overnight Oats
- Fig & Ricotta Oatmeal
- Warm Buckwheat Porridge
What are your favorite things to do with persimmons? Comment below or hop into my private facebook group to share your ideas and get more inspiration!